Monday, July 16, 2012

Opera

I fell asleep 5 minutes into La Traviata.  When I woke up 30 minutes later I realized what had happened and so I started the video over again.  Not 5 more minutes into La Traviata and I was out again.  I attempted a third time, but my wife interceded with complaints of a headache, and so I found a Synopsis to read instead. :)

My initial reaction to Opera is that of annoyance.  The women screech and I can't understand anything they're saying.  I'm the one skipping over the particularly unbearable sections of The Phantom of the Opera.  To counter this gag reflex, I compiled a list of sweet Opera experiences that I've had.

1. The Fifth Element

Diva, steward of the sacred element stones, is also an opera singer.  This song was really interesting to me because it brought a futuristic/techno spin to something I really didn't have any interest in...  Combine Opera with an electronic keyboard and you have something!



2. Andrea Bocelli

My older sister introduced me to Andrea Bocelli when I was in middle school and she was a PhD student.  I wanted to be smart like her so I went on a brief Opera kick.  

My favorite Bocelli moments are when he duets with Celine Dion, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and the song he wrote after the passing of his Father, A Mio Padre.





3. Susan Boyle

This unattractive older lady in her grandmother's dress walks onto stage and shocks all of Britain, and the world!  Even judge Simon raised his eyebrows in surprise!  Today, her YouTube videos are receiving hundreds of millions of hits!








4. Josh Groban

For me, Josh Groban is the reinvention of Opera for the modern audience.  He takes traditional songs and introduces life back into them.   












Questions to address:
What is it about Opera that made it so popular?  How is it still alive today?

No comments:

Post a Comment